Although the school has existed in many different forms under different names since 1850, Bruce-Guadalupe Community School was officially founded in 1969. It operated independently until 1990 when the school merged with the United Community Center. In 1991, BGCS became one of the first "Choice" schools in the Milwaukee Public School System (MPS). In 2000, BGCS received Charter School status from MPS. At the beginning of the 2009 fall semester, BGCS began operation as a UWM Charter School.